Here are two panorama tilings I took of Lipany during the Fall.
- You can clearly see the neighborhood where my babka lives on the far right of town.
- To the right of that is Balaška, where the trails lead up to the very roof of Central Europe (and where I saw a wolf one day!) (and also one day I did NOT see a wolf…).
- As we sat here, we could watch deer running up and down those fields on the other side of the Kamenica valley.
- The wooded hillside you see on the far valley wall (center) is the garden city above town, where many families have little huts, extensive hillside gardens, and orchards.
If you walk to the radio tower on the left side of the above picture, and then go one hill beyond it, you will come to this view (one month later):
- some of the smokestacks of the valley floor
- the steeple of the chram
- a few apartment buildings in the center of town.
Note how the town settles into the valley and leaves the fields open. On the very right of this panorama, you are looking down into the briary tangle of the old Jewish cemetery. On the far side of the valley is the hillside where my great-great grandparents lived, until all the old houses there got bulldozed and the people moved into the apartment towers.