Printable BOOK DETAILS:
GIF >> | PDF >>
TITLE: SLOVAKIA: Fall in the Heart of Europe
AUTHOR: Marek Bennett
- Format: Graphic Novel
- Genre: travel / memoir / Europe / Slovakia
- Length: 602 pages (preview PDF >>)
- Page Size: 7.44”x9.69”
- Content: Color cover, b&w interior
- Price: $29.95 ORDER ONLINE via www.MarekBennett.com >>
- ISBN#: 978-0-9824153-2-0
A graphic novel adventure of one rabbit’s quest for family among the roots and ruins of the Old World!
With his trusty travel sketchbook and ukulele in hand, Rabbit stumbles into one adventure after another along the backstreets and breakfast tables of Eastern Slovakia. But as he hunts down old family stories, forgotten graveyards, ancient artwork, and modern fairy tales, he finds himself crossing hidden ethnic fault-lines with unexpected results…
- AUGUST 2011: Project announced
- FALL 2011: Drawing/teaching/studying in Slovakia, posting regularly to website
- WINTER-SPRING-SUMMER-FALL 2012: Finishing artwork / drawing remaining pages
- SPRING-SUMMER 2013: Refining, organizing, editing pages into book form
- SEPTEMBER 2013: BOOK LAUNCH
- Publishing & shipping: September 2013 [see book+blog updates]
- Archived online @: https://marekslovakia.wordpress.com
Graphic Novel Format:
- ~600 pages of hand-drawn black & white artwork, with color cover
- Tells travel narrative through single- and multiple-page anecdotes, grouped thematically and (loosely) chronologically.
- Fast, sketchy style suited to travel notebooks
Reading level & overall experience:
- Middle school – adult reading level; age 14+
- some mature content related to the holocaust, alcohol, domestic violence, etc.
- No explicit violence, nudity, strong language.
- The author often presents excerpts during school visits.
- Some pages read lightly, quickly (like daily comic strips)
- Other pages contain lots of information and reward more careful reading
- Overall format encourages multiple sittings
- Can read cover-to-cover OR by sampling individual anecdotes
The graphic novel format & content will appeal to readers interested in:
- world travel
- emigration/immigration narratives
- European history
- Slavic cultures
- social justice & conflict
- art history
The book also carries the appeal of current events (unfolding European debt crisis) and ancient folklore (stories rabbit discovers in altar artwork).